Multi-sport events are built to test and challenge both physical and mental endurance, and the Whitewater Triathlon will be no less a feat. This off-road race utilizes various features of the 1,300 acre facility and natural waters of the U.S. National Whitewater Center. Before the finish line can be crossed, racers must complete a 1K open water swim on the Catawba River, a 23K mountain bike leg, and a 6.5K trail run through the woodlands. Participants looking to compete for speed can partake a shorter course, consisting of a 400m open water swim on the Catawba River, a 12K mountain bike leg, and a 3K trail run to take them to the finish line.
- Date – Saturday, July 13, 2019
- 1K swim, 23K bike, 6.5K run or 400m swim, 12K bike, 3K run
- 8:00am (1K swim, 23K bike, 6.5K run start)
- 9:00am (400m swim, 12K bike, 3K run start)
- Course closes at 12:30pm (Athletes may finish but official times may not be recorded)
- Pre-Registration – Must register by July 12
- $70 – 1K swim, 23K bike, 6.5K run
- $65 – 400m swim, 12K bike, 3K run
- Race-Day Registration – if available
- $80 – 1K swim, 23K bike, 6.5K run
- $75 – 400m swim, 12K bike, 3K run
- Note: Recover Brands race shirts are only guaranteed to those who pre-register by July 7
Friday, July 12
- 5:00pm – 7:00pm – Early Packet Pick-up at USNWC
- Note: We encourage pre-registered runners to participate in the early packet pick-up to decrease race day lines
- Note: Day-of Registration will be available during packet pick-up
- Note: Early packet pick-up is optional. Typical parking fees apply
Saturday, July 13
- 6:30am – Day-of registration and packet pick-up begins
- 6:30am – Transition Zone opens (first come first serve for transition spots)
- 7:30am – Day-of registration and packet pick-up ends for 1K swim, 23K bike, 6.5K run
- 8:00am – 1K swim, 23K bike, 6.5K run begins (water start)
- 8:30am – Race day registration and packet pick-up ends for 400m swim, 12K bike, 3K run
- 9:00am – 400m swim, 12K bike, 3K run begins (water start)
- Time TBD – Awards ceremony
- 12:30pm – Course closes (athletes may finish the course; however, official times may not be recorded)
Awards will be given to the top three male/female finishers in the following age groups for both divisions:
14 and under, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-better.
The entire Whitewater Triathlon 1K or 400m swim leg will take place in the Catawba River. Athletes are encouraged (not required) to bring a 2nd pair of shoes to use between the swim leg and transition.
- It is mandatory that athletes wear swim caps during the entire duration of the swim. You will be given a swim cap at pre-race check-in.
2017 – 2012 Results:
- Interested in volunteering? Please contact the Race Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Whitewater Race Series Refund and Transfer Policy:
- Race Registration is non-refundable
- A 100% registration transfer must be requested 2 months (or more) in advance of race day via email@example.com
- A 50% registration transfer must be requested 1 month (or more) in advance of race day via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registration transfers are only applicable to the same race the following year
- All purchased Whitewater Race Series add-on gear must be collected during packet pick-up. Items will not be shipped.
- If the purchased add-on items are unable to be picked up during packet pick-up, items will be held at OUTFITTERS for pick-up for one week from the date of the event (seven days)
- It is the participant’s responsibility to email email@example.com to arrange pick-up
- After seven days, all unclaimed items will be donated
- Participants not present for awards may collect their award from OUTFITTERS within two months of the race date. Items not collected within this time frame will be donated.
- Items cannot be shipped
- Participants must email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange award pick-up
- Typical parking fees apply
- All participants must sign the USNWC waiver before participating
- Trails will be open to other runners, hikers and bikers
- Headphones, iPods, MP3 players, etc are strongly discouraged for the safety of all participants
- Remain attentive and courteous at all times
- No pets allowed on the course
- Race bib must be visible and worn on the front of shirt to receive an accurate time
- See Course Map for water/electrolyte stop locations
- If you think you may require additional hydration along the course, please plan accordingly
- USNWC Adventure Cards cannot be accepted as payment for Whitewater Race Series event registration.
- Restrooms are located at the main USNWC River Center and the Pump House Biergarten
- Please note, there will be no restrooms located on course
- Locker rooms/showers are located at the main USNWC River Center
- Event will proceed rain or shine unless conditions are deemed unsafe by the Race Director
- All guests are required to pay a $6 parking fee at the USNWC unless guest has an annual parking pass. Annual parking passes are available through the USNWC for $50
- The USNWC does not conduct trail rescues in the event of an emergency. Participants are encouraged to call 911 THEN notify event staff if an emergency is encountered.