Backcountry Camping teaches your child the fundamentals of backcountry travel including, but not limited to: proper packing, land navigation, campsite preparation, working in a team dynamic, and wilderness cooking. Throughout the week, Pass Activities will be included for campers. On Thursday of the camp session, the campers and counselors will head to South Mountain State Park for an overnight stay in the backcountry. During the trip, campers will have to work as a team in campsite preparation and cooking meals. They will also have an opportunity for a fun side hike to a waterfall.
- Price: $450 per week
- Ages: 11 – 13 years
- Highly recommend that campers have completed Survival Camp I or have experience camping with youth groups to ensure comfort with sleeping outdoors.
- Must be able to hike on moderate terrain while carrying a backpack that weighs up to 35lbs.
- Capacity: 10
- Camp Schedule:
- Optional Early Drop Off (Additional $50 fee): 7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.
- Regular Drop Off: 8:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
- Camp Activities: 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Camp Pickup: 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Offsite Camping Trip (Thursday & Friday)
- Early Parent Pick optional on Friday
- Fridays Parents’ Pass – Parents can purchase a Sunset Pass on Fridays to participate in activities with their child. There is no additional cost to the child if they a participating in camp that week. The pass is good for activities after 4 p.m. until close. You must receive the coupon from camp staff at the check-in table at 4 p.m. on Friday.
- Lunch Options – Campers may bring their own lunch and snacks, or purchase lunch through our Summer Camp Lunch Menu. Lunches can be purchased via the link provided in the camp confirmation email sent to you after registration. The Summer Camp Lunch Menu can be found here.
Camp Program & Activities
Topics of Discussion
- Map and Compass
- Packing for a backcountry trip
- Camp stove cooking
- Proper camp set up
- Leave No Trace
Offsite Overnight Backpacking Trip – South Mountain State Park
- Whitewater Rafting (x1)
- Flatwater Kayaking
- Rock Climbing
- High Ropes – featuring 8 different ropes courses varying in difficulty
- Ziplines – featuring 3 different mutli-platform zip experiences
- Long Point Obstacle Course
Step 1: Choose Camp Dates
- Available Dates:
- If the camp you are looking to sign-up for is sold out, please call 704.391.3900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 2: Payment
Option 1: Full Payments can be made by clicking one of the dates above, over the phone (704.391.3900), or in person.
Option 2: Deposits can be made over the phone (704.391.3900) or in person. Deposits are accepted until May 1st. Only full payments will be accepted after May 1st.
Step 3: Online Camp Form
After registering for camp, you will receive an email from the USNWC with a link to the Online Camp Forms. The Online Camp Forms including the following:
- Online Camp Form – This form includes health information, emergency contacts, friend requests, pick-up approvals, etc.
- Parent Packet – This PDF includes information you will need to know about summer camp regarding what to bring, a schedule, etc.
Please complete and submit the Online Forms.
Parents are welcome to stay for our Yoga Series each Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday morning at 9:30 am.