Backcountry Camping teaches your child the fundamentals of backcountry travel including, but not limited to: proper packing, land navigation, campsite preparation, working in a team dynamic, and wilderness cooking. Throughout the week, various Pass Activities will also be included in the campers schedule. On Thursday of the camp session, the campers and counselors will head to South Mountain State Park for an overnight stay to apply their newly developed backcountry camping skills. During the trip, campers will have to work as a team in campsite preparation and cooking meals. They will also have an opportunity for a fun side hike to a waterfall.
- Price: $450 per week
- Ages: 11 – 13 years
- Highly recommend that campers have completed Survival Camp I or have experience camping with youth groups to ensure comfort with sleeping outdoors.
- Must be able to hike on moderate terrain while carrying a backpack that weighs up to 35lbs.
- Capacity: 10
- Camp Schedule:
- Optional Early Drop Off (Additional $50 fee): 7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.
- Regular Drop Off: 8:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
- Camp Activities: 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Camp Pickup: 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Offsite Camping Trip (Thursday & Friday)
- Early Parent Pick optional on Friday
- Fridays Parents’ Pass – Parents can purchase a Sunset Pass on Fridays to participate in activities with their child. There is no additional cost to the child if they a participating in camp that week. The pass is good for activities after 4 p.m. until close. You must receive the coupon from camp staff at the check-in table at 4 p.m. on Friday.
- Lunch Options – Campers may bring their own lunch and snacks, or purchase lunch through our Summer Camp Lunch Menu. Lunches can be purchased via the link provided in the camp confirmation email sent to you after registration.
Camp Program & Activities
Topics of Discussion
- Map and Compass
- Packing for a backcountry trip
- Camp stove cooking
- Proper camp set up
- Leave No Trace
Offsite Overnight Backpacking Trip – South Mountain State Park
- Whitewater Rafting (x1)
- Flatwater Kayaking
- Rock Climbing
- High Ropes – featuring 8 different ropes courses varying in difficulty
- Ziplines – featuring 3 different mutli-platform zip experiences
- Long Point Obstacle Course
Step 1: Choose Camp Dates
2019 Available Dates:
STEP 2: PAYMENT
Option 1: Full Payments can be made by clicking one of the dates above, over the phone (704.391.3900), or in person.
Option 2: Deposits can be made over the phone (704.391.3900) or in person. Deposits are accepted until May 1 and are nonrefundable. Only full payments will be accepted after May 1. Balances are due in full by May 24.
STEP 3: ONLINE CAMP FORM
After registering for camp, you will receive an email from the USNWC with a link to the Online Camp Forms. The Online Camp Forms include the following:
- Camper Information Form – This form includes health information, emergency contacts, friend requests, pick-up approvals, etc.
- Parent Packet – This PDF includes information you will need to know about summer camp regarding what to bring, a schedule, etc.
- Summer Camp Lunch Registration – Please note that Lunch Registration closes the Wednesday before the week of camp at noon.
Please complete and submit the online forms a minimum of two weeks before camp begins.
Parents are welcome to stay for our Yoga Series each Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday morning at 9:30 am.