Whitewater Kayak Instructors at the Whitewater Center are core members of the paddlesports team. Teaching students from a variety of demographics in private, group, and multi-day settings, Instructors will impart efficient techniques and convey their passion for the sport. Whitewater Kayak Instructors are seasonal employees and report directly to the Paddlesports Manager.
- Facilitate whitewater kayak instruction for individuals and small groups with an informative and enjoyable approach while proactively managing the inherent risks involved with whitewater activites
- Provide constructive, meaningful feedback to students in order to foster skill acquisition and long-term paddler development
- Utilize differentiated, student-centered instruction techniques, exercise useful and purposeful practices, engage in instructional session planning, and develop performance assessments
- Execute all safety and operational processes involved in kayak instruction for the Class II-IV artificial whitewater course
- Work closely with Kayak Center Associates to communicate students’ needs and plans for future lessons
- Practice thorough communication with the paddlesports team, and provide assistance where needed in order to ensure guest service standards and efficient operation
- Continue to improve and develop personally as a whitewater paddler
- Maintain accurate knowledge of activities, products, and services offered by the Whitewater Center
- Maintain availability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as required
- Energetic individual with the ability to communicate clearly and professionally
- A minimum of 2 years of experience working for a whitewater outfitter within a kayak instruction program, a guiding program, or another similar experience
- Current First Aid, CPR & AED Certification – courses are offered by the Whitewater Center
- Ability to excel at the ACA Level 4: Whitewater Kayaking Skills Assessment
- ACA Whitewater Kayak Instructor certification preferred but not required
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to instruct and/or guide a minimum of 3 whitewater classes per day
- Ability to confidently and consistently perform challenging maneuvers in Class II-IV whitewater
- Ability to rescue students in Class II-IV whitewater
- Access to the Whitewater Center’s pass activities
- Staff discount program and pro deals
Overview of Outdoor Activities Department
The Outdoor Activities Department is responsible for leading and supporting experiences in a variety of water and land-based sports. The department also instructs guests through the Whitewater Center’s Outdoor School and Summer Camps. Outdoor Activities employees engage with guests through an assortment of pass activities and help create memorable outdoor experiences.
Working at Whitewater
Whitewater is rooted in the belief that the active, outdoor lifestyle is for everyone. We are a team whose culture and work environment are dedicated to providing real engagement through authentic experiences. By promoting an active, outdoor lifestyle, we build community and opportunities for people to come together.
Applicants interested in this position apply via the general application link below.
The general application is a 2-step process. Applicants must complete the online general application and then participate in a one-way video interview. The invitation to participate in the video interview will be emailed after you complete the online forms. The interview takes 15-20 minutes to complete and is a series of questions answered with a webcam or the mobile app.
Applicants interested in this specific opportunity should state their employment preferences in the online application.
Thank you for your interest in employment at the Whitewater Center.