XTERRA returns to the USNWC for the 8th annual XTERRA Whitewater Triathlon. This USA Triathlon sanctioned event will test your swimming, mountain biking and trail running skills in a rugged off-road environment. The race begins with a 1K flatwater swim through the Catawba River, followed by 23K on mountain bike across all difficulty levels of the USNWC trail system, and concluding with an 6.5K trail run to cross the finish line.
- Date – Saturday, July 8, 2017
- USA Triathlon Sanctioned Event #240895
- Distance – 1K swim, 23K bike, 6.5K run
- Time – 8:00 a.m.
- Course closes at 12:00 p.m. (Athletes may finish but official times may not be recorded)
XTERRA WHITEWATER TRANSITION CLINIC:
The XTERRA Whitewater Transition Clinic is for both the novice and experienced triathlete. Transition is the fourth element of triathlons, yet carries a lot of importance in the race. This clinic will cover the basics and also provide tips/tricks to make your transitions quick and easy. Join XTERRA Ambassador, Marcus Barton, to learn some simple steps to make your transition faster and more effective. The clinic takes place at the transition zone on Friday, July 7th at 6:30pm and will also include a Q&A of the following day’s XTERRA Whitewater Triathlon with the Race Director.
- Why transitions are important
- What you need in transition and what you don’t
- Strategies to make your transitions faster
- Both road and off-road triathlons, how transitions differ
- Wetsuits and speed suits do not have to cost you time
- Pre-Registration – Must register by July 6
- Race-Day Registration – if available
- USA Triathlon Membership is required to participate in this race
- *Note: Registrations will be capped at 175 and will be on a first come first serve basis
- *New in 2017: In our continued effort to reduce the environmental impact of our events, we have partnered with our hydration friends at NoDa Brewing Co. to provide each finisher their own steel pint cup. This cup will replace the need for single use cups throughout the post-race festivities at this and other select Whitewater Race Series events.
- *Note: Recover Brands race shirts are only guaranteed to those who pre-register by July 2
Friday, July 7
- 5:00pm – 7:00pm – Early Packet Pick-up at USNWC
- *Note: We encourage pre-registered runners to participate in the early packet pick-up to decrease race day lines
- *Note: “Race Day Registration” will be available during packet pick-up
- *Note: Early packet pick-up is optional. Typical parking fees apply
- 6:30pm – XTERRA Whitewater Transition Clinic
Saturday, July 8
- 6:30am – Race day registration and packet pick-up begins
- 6:30am – Transition Zone opens (first come first serve for transition spots)
- 7:30am – Race day registration and packet pick-up ends
- 8:00am – XTERRA Whitewater Triathlon begins (Water Start)
- Time TBD – Awards ceremony
- 12:00pm – Course closes (athletes may finish the course however official times may not be recorded)
Awards will be given to the top three male/female finishers in the following age groups (based on athlete’s XTERRA Age):
19 and under, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-better.
XTERRA Point Series:
Based on athlete’s age as of December 31, 2017, XTERRA Point Series points are given to all athletes in the following categories:
Male/Female 15-19: Male/Female 20-24: Male/Female 25-29: Male/Female 30-34: Male/Female 35-39: Male/Female 40-44: Male/Female 45-49: Male/Female 50-54: Male/Female 55-59: Male/Female 60-64: Male 65-69: Female 65+: Male 70-74: Male 75+
*Note: Athletes with an XTERRA age under 15 cannot earn XTERRA Points
Course Update: The entire XTERRA Whitewater Triathlon 1k swim leg will take place in the Catawba River. Athletes are encouraged (not required) to bring a 2nd pair of shoes to use between the swim leg and transition.
- It is mandatory that athletes wear swim caps during the entire duration of the swim. You will be given a swim cap at pre-race check-in.
- XTERRA follows the USAT wetsuit rules. Wetsuits are:
- Permitted for Age Group athletes if the water temperature is BELOW 78’
- Permitted for Age Group athletes if the water temperature is BETWEEN 78’ and 84′, but will not be eligible for prizes or awards
- Forbidden for Age Group athletes if the water temperature is ABOVE 84’
- Interested in volunteering? Please contact the Race Director at email@example.com
- Whitewater Race Series Refund and Transfer Policy:
- Race Registration is non-refundable
- A 100% registration transfer may be requested 2 months (or more) in advance of race day via firstname.lastname@example.org
- A 50% registration transfer may be requested 1 month (or more) in advance of race day via email@example.com
- Registration transfers are only applicable to the same race the following year
- All participants must sign the USNWC waiver before participating
- Trails will be open to other runners, hikers and bikers
- Headphones, iPods, MP3 players, etc are strongly discouraged for the safety of all participants
- Remain attentive and courteous at all times
- No pets allowed on the course
- Race bib must be visible and worn on the front of shirt to receive an accurate time
- See Course Map for water/electrolyte stop locations
- If you think you may require additional hydration along the course, please plan accordingly
- Participants must be present to accept awards. Awards will not be mailed
- Restrooms are located at the main USNWC River Center and the Pump House Biergarten
- Please note, there will be no restrooms located on course
- Locker rooms/showers are located at the main USNWC River Center
- Event will proceed rain or shine unless conditions are deemed unsafe by the Race Director
- All guests are required to pay a $5 parking fee at the USNWC unless guest has an annual parking pass. Annual parking passes are available through the USNWC for $40
- The USNWC does not conduct trail rescues in the event of an emergency. Participants are encouraged to call 911 THEN notify event staff if an emergency is encountered.