Out with the boats and in with the bikes. The third annual Rumble in the Concrete Jungle kicks off the 2016 Whitewater Race Series, as bikes of all shapes and sizes take to the world’s largest manmade whitewater river for this one of a kind cycling race.
The Downhill Race will be a time trial from the top of the Competition Channel to the bottom. The course will be designed to maximize the full potential of the banked whitewater channels. While the elevation drop is minimal, the banked channel walls, wooden structures, jumps, and various other obstacles make for a unique and technical course unlike any other. Each participant will be given two timed runs; the best time being used for scoring. The participant with the fastest time will be named the winner.
Following the Downhill Race will be the Short-Track Bike Races. The course will be similar to the downhill course with added mileage to create a circuit which will be raced for 30-minutes for the Women’s Open, Men’s Beginner and Juniors categories and 40-minutes for the Men’s Open category. In these mass start races, riders will turn out as many laps as possible during the allotted time period, and all racers will finish on the leader’s last lap.
- Date: Saturday, January 9
- *Note: UPDATED START TIME as of 2:30pm 1/8/2016
- Time: 11:00 a.m.
- Short-Track races to follow the Downhill Race
- Race 1: Downhill Race
- Time Trial
- 2 runs per rider, best time is scored
- No separate divisions for different types of bikes
- Race 2: Short-Track Bike Race (Women’s Open, Men’s Beginner, Juniors)
- Mass Start
- 30 minute race
- Most laps wins
- Race 3: Short-Track Bike Race (Men’s Open)
- Mass Start
- 40 minute race
- Most laps wins
- Course: See Below
- *Note: This is a non-traditional bike race and weather will dictate much of the course. The final course layout will be decided on race morning. We encourage participants to come early on race day to practice. Plan accordingly and be ready to adapt on race day.
- $25 – Pre-registration available online through January 7 (Both races are included in registration)
- $30 – Race Day Registration (if available)
- *Note: Race giveaways are only available to those who pre-register by December 31.
- *Note: Due to the uniqueness of the course, bike experience is recommended, but not required
UPDATED SCHEDULE as of 1/8/2016
- 9:00 a.m. – Race Day registration and packet pick-up begins
- 9:00 a.m. – Course open for practice laps
- 10:30 a.m. – Course closes for practice laps
- 10:45 a.m. – Race day registration and packet pick-up ends
- 10:45 a.m. – Mandatory pre-race meeting
- 11:00 a.m. – Downhill Race begins
- TBD – Short-Track Bike Races will begin immediately following the Downhill Race
Awards will be given to top 3 finishers in the following categories
- Downhill Race – Juniors, Female Open, Male Beginner, Male Open
- Short-Track Bike Race – Juniors, Female Open, Male Beginner, Male Open
For event/course information, check out the race recap from Pink Bike of the 2014 Rumble in the Concrete Jungle.
- Due to the timing, weather and the nature of this event, check back frequently for any updates as race day get closer
- Interested in volunteering? Please contact the Race Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registration is non-refundable and non-transferable
- All participants must sign the USNWC waiver before participating
- Participants must be present to accept awards. Awards will not be mailed
- All guests are required to pay a $5 parking fee at the USNWC unless guest has an annual parking pass. Annual parking passes are available through the USNWC for $40
- Headphones, iPods, MP3 players, etc are discouraged for the safety of all participants