As an official U.S. Olympic Training Site, the U.S. National Whitewater Center provides a world-class whitewater channel system in an urban setting, allowing athletes to train and compete with the opportunity to work or attend school locally. In addition to elite and aspiring athletes, Youth Development Programs and Kayak Instruction are available.
The USNWC provides public water throughout a majority of the year; with the best times to train being late summer through early winter and early spring through early summer. Peak season for commercial activities at the USNWC is June through August, while most of the athletes are in Europe racing on the World Cup Circuit. During the winter months (while the whitewater channels are closed), the Catawba River offers a venue ideal for flat water technique training.
The schedule for exclusive whitewater slalom training sessions (no commercial activity on channels) can be found below:
Slalom Water Times
Local Accommodations are available near the USNWC.
- Day Pass (access to public water) : $25 per individual
- Season Pass (access to public water for calendar year in addition to other activities at USNWC): $199 per individual
- Exclusive Slalom Sessions: $10/session, per individual
- Channel Buyout: $450/hour, per channel
- Day Parking: $6/day, $50/annual pass
Coaching is available for training and racing throughout the year. If interested, please contact Fergus Coffey at email@example.com
- On-site flatwater training site on the Catawba River (5 minute walk from USNWC Kayak Center)
- 30+ miles of running and biking trails
- Locker room/showers
- USNWC is located across the river from the Stowe YMCA where weight lifting facilities are available
Please contact the Kayak Center by phone, 704.391.3900 ext. 195.