Become a professional raft guide at the largest man-made whitewater facility in the world. From the classroom to the river, our top-notch instructors teach all of the necessary skills expected of a professional raft guide – no prior experience is necessary.
The U.S. National Whitewater Center (USNWC) is seeking full and part-time, seasonal Raft Guides. Top graduates of Guide School will be given the opportunity to advance into the USNWC’s qualifying check-out process. Upon qualification, a fun, physical, and customer-interactive job awaits.
Attending guide school does not guarantee a job at the USNWC. For more information, please see the Raft Guide School FAQ.
- Duration: 5 days
- Hours: 9:00am-6:00pm (Orientation hours are listed in conjunction with course dates)
- Price: $175
Tuition reimbursement is available for Guide School graduates who are hired by the USNWC and complete the season in good standing with the USNWC Management.
- You must be at least 18 years of age or 17 and a graduating senior in high school
- Adequate level of physical fitness, swimming capability, and comfort in and around moving water
Please note, a current First Aid, CPR & AED Certification is not a prerequisite for Guide School, but is required for active employment – courses are offered by the USNWC.
Guide School has a 1 to 6 instructor to student ratio, ensuring the quality of instruction needed to succeed as a professional raft guide. There are limited spaces available, so be sure to sign up early to secure a spot.
To register, please call Guest Services at 704.391.3900 or use the links below to register online.
2017 Guide School:
- Guide School M – 6/19-6/23 – Orientation 6/18 at 4 pm
- Guide School N – 6/26-6/30 – Orientation 6/25 at 4 pm
- Guide School O – 7/10-7/14 – Orientation 7/9 at 4 pm
- Guide School P – 7/24-7/28 – Orientation 7/23 at 4 pm
- Guide School Q – 8/7-8/11 – Orientation 8/6 at 4 pm