Become a professional river guide at the largest man-made whitewater facility in the world. The U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, NC is seeking full and part-time seasonal guides starting spring of 2014. No prior experience is needed.
From the classroom to the river, our top-notch instructors will teach all of the necessary skills expected of a professional raft guide. Upon completion of guide school, preferential consideration will be given to top graduates in order to complete USNWC’s qualifying check-out process. Upon qualification, a fun, physical, and customer interactive job awaits.
Benefits of being a guide:
- Free access to USNWC All Sport activities, based on available capacity
- 25% off Outfitter’s Store items
- 25% off River’s Edge Bar & Grill (excludes alcohol)
- 25% off instruction
- Discounts and access to pro deals on gear
- Guide School Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Starting Pay Rate of $9.43/hour
Guide school tuition:
Raft guide job requirements*:
- You must be 18 years of age by spring of 2014
- You must have completed all guide school requirements and qualification process once finished with guide school.
- You must have current CPR (Adult and Child), AED and Basic First Aid Certifications
- You must be available to work at least one weekend day, either Saturday or Sunday, every week.
- Be prepared to purchase required guide equipment.
- All employment-related paperwork must be approved by our Human Resources department**
- Your level of physical fitness and swimming capabilities must be appropriately developed to handle the safety-related responsibilities of this position
Attending guide school does not guarantee a job at the USNWC.
All employment offers are subject to successful completion of a background check. USNWC is a drug-free and smoke-free establishment.
Guide School has a 1 to 6 instructor to student ratio, ensuring the quality instruction needed to succeed as a professional raft guide. There are limited spaces available, so be sure to sign up early to secure a spot.
To register please call Guest Services at 704.391.3900 or use the links below to register online.
2015 Guide School Dates:
Weekday Guide School Dates
- Guide School A – Monday 3/2- Friday 3/6
- Orientation: Sunday 3/1 (4:00pm)
- Guide School C – Monday 3/9- Friday 3/13
- Orientation: Sunday 3/8 (4:00pm)
- Guide School E – Monday 3/30- Friday 4/3
- Orientation: Sunday 3/29 (4:00pm)
- Guide School F – Monday 4/6- Friday 4/10
- Orientation: Sunday 4/5 (4:00pm)
- Guide School H – Monday 4/27- Friday 5/1
- Orientation: Sunday 4/26 (4:00pm)
- Guide School I – Monday 5/11- Friday 5/15
- Orientation: Sunday 5/10 (4:00pm)
- Guide School J – Monday 5/18- Friday 5/22
- Orientation: Sunday 5/17 (4:00pm)
- Guide School K – Monday 5/25- Friday 5/29
- Orientation: Sunday 5/24 (4:00pm)
- Guide School M – Monday 6/1- Friday 6/5
- Orientation: Sunday 5/31 (4:00pm)
- Guide School N – Monday 6/8- Friday 6/12
- Orientation: Sunday 6/7 (4:00pm)
- Guide School P – Monday 7/13- Friday 7/17
- Orientation: Sunday 7/12 (4:00pm)
- Guide School Q – Monday 7/27- Friday 7/31
- Orientation: Sunday 7/26 (4:00pm)
Weekend Guide School Dates
- Guide School B – Saturdays/Sundays: 3/7-3/8, 3/14-3/15, 3/21
- Orientation: Friday 3/6 (6:00pm)
- Guide School D - Saturdays/Sundays: 3/28-3/29, 4/4-4/5, 4/11
- Orientation: Friday 3/27 (6:00pm)
- Guide School G – Saturdays/Sundays: 4/25-4/26, 5/2-5/3, 5/9
- Orientation: Friday 4/24 (6:00pm)
- Guide School L – Saturdays/Sundays: 5/30-5/31, 6/6-6/7, 6/13
- Orientation: Friday 5/29 (6:00pm)
- Guide School O – Saturdays/Sundays: 6/20-6/21, 6/27-6/28, 7/4
- Orientation: Friday 6/19 (6:00pm)